text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment While Studying in UK

If you are an international student, you might want to opt for part-time work as a way to make new friends and earn extra cash while you study. Today, students from all over the world are highly interested in studying in the UK. Most students are worried about finding employment in the UK during their studies.

You'll be pleased to know that the UK government supports working and studying while pursuing higher education. Thus, employers are also willing to hire international students for part-time jobs and jobs related to their courses. There are, however, certain rules you must follow in every country when you are working on a student visa.

Like most top international study destinations, the UK allows part-time employment for foreign students. When studying in the UK, international students have the right to work up to 20 hours per week and full time during holidays. However, some restrictions and conditions must be met for you to be permitted to work.

Employment Eligibility for Students in UK

When you are studying in the UK, two significant restrictions determine your eligibility to work: the ones set by your university and those set by state-run places of employment.

Before dealing with state officials, check that your university doesn't have any restrictions that prevent you from working. As an example, your university might limit the number of hours you can work, aside from government regulations.

It is easy for international students to find part-time jobs in the UK, especially in large cities like London. Even if you are only allowed to work on campus at some universities, you still have many options available to you. However, before you get out to look for part-time jobs, make sure you're qualified. All it takes is your Tier 4 visa, which is the UK's official student visa. The first part of checking your eligibility is your age. You cannot work in the UK if you are under 16 and do not hold a Tier 4 (General 4) visa.

Jobs You Are Not Allowed To Do

Once you have confirmed you can work in the UK, you will need to determine what kind of work you are willing to do. There are some jobs within the UK that you cannot do while studying. You can't engage in the following kinds of work (paid or not paid) when you hold a Tier 4 visa:

  • Work as a self-employed or freelancer
  • Engage in commercial activities
  • Permanent full-time position
  • A professional sportsperson or coach
  • Work as a performer
  • Work as an in-training dentist or physician, except that you're enrolled in a foundation program.

Jobs for Students in the UK

Do you ever wonder what types of jobs you could get in the UK while studying? You can find below an extensive list of jobs for students in the UK that you can use to get an idea of what jobs are available in the UK.

  • Support officer for students
  • Customer service representative
  • Delivery driver for pharmacies
  • Pizza Deliverer
  • Veterinarian assistant
  • Personalized Assistant
  • Admissions officers
  • Sports Facility Worker
  • Planter
  • Translation freelancer
  • Server
  • An office receptionist
  • Financial Assistant
  • Social media manager
  • Distributor of newspapers
  • Artist/Photographer
  • Personal tutoring
  • Restaurant Host
  • Servants in bars
  • Storekeeper
  • Writer/Blogger
  • Artist/graphic designer
  • Intern as a software developer
  • An online bookseller
  • Travel Guide
  • Assistant to the Professor
  • Cafeteria waitress at the university
  • Caretaker of pets
  • Housekeeper
  • Babysitting
  • Watching over security
  • Exercise instructor

Post-Graduation Employment

After graduation, international students on Tier 4 visas who enroll at a UK institution in September 2020 are eligible to stay in the UK to look for employment. You can apply for a post-study work visa in the UK once you know you can work in the UK while studying.

Graduating students should be subject to the exact visa requirements as their original student visas, so you can expect this to occur automatically unless your circumstances have changed. Graduates of the undergraduate (Bachelor), master's (Master's), and Ph.D. programs are all subject to this.

The old rule was that a graduate with a bachelor's or master's degree was only allowed to stay in the UK for four months and look for a job. Now, this is extended to two years.

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in UK.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list