text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment while you study

Work while you study

F-1 Visa holders are allowed to work in the United States when approved by a designated education provider, but only under certain conditions and according to complex guidelines and restrictions given out by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service

There are numerous categories of employment available, whereas a F-1 student in U.S. On-campus employment is the most easily available, while off-campus employment must be related to area of study and approved by the Titled education provider.

In order to work in the U.S., student would need a Social Security number (SSN). However, they can still apply for jobs without SSN and use the job offer to get a SSN after getting hired.

Working On Campus

International students are allowed to work 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session. This includes work performed on the institution's premises directly for it or for an on-location commercial firm of the institution.

Student can seek guidance and approval from International Student Office prior to accepting employment.

During breaks, extended holidays and summer sessions, student is allowed to work full time (up to 40 hours per week).

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

If you've been enrolled on as full time basis for at least one full academic year, student may be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

This is an employment opportunity which is an integral part of your majors and allows participating in an internship or cooperative education program. Student can receive course credit for the work and CPT must be completed before graduation.

Post Study Work

Studying in the US offers benefits to student to avail post study work rights depending on various conditions and/or anyone seeking more permanent options can trail on to the U.S immigration website or Connect with Admissions for further details.

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in USA.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list