text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

People and Culture in UAE

Otherwise known as the Emirates, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a country located on the western side of the Asian continent. The UAE lies on the southeastern side of the Arabian Peninsula with its neighbors Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Iran. The seven countries that make up the UAE are Ajman, Ras al-Khaimah, Abu Dhabi (the capital), Dubai, Sharjah, Umm al-Quwain, and Fujairah. Each living being has a ruler who controls a group of people with different customs, beliefs and customs. As of 2013, the combined total of the armed forces stood at 9.2 million people. A tradition with a rich history with these people dates back to 125,000 BCE. Over the years, the UAE has been living with diverse people such as Britain and who have been instrumental in shaping the culture.


Being an Arab country, it is not surprising that Islam is the most popular religion. In fact, this religion is the state religion in the Emirates. However, this does not mean that other religions such as Christianity are not allowed. Data from the Pew research center shows that 76% of Muslim people are Christian following 12.6%. Non-Muslims in the UAE village are mostly immigrants who came to the UAE to work with businesses. Among Muslims, a large chunk (about 97%) are Sunni while the remaining 3% are Shia Muslims. Other religions include Hinduism (6.6%), Buddhism (2%), and a few other religions. Although the government does not interfere with other religions, it prohibits the broadcasting of non-Muslim religions by any form of media because this is considered to be converting. Currently, there are more than 30 churches and Hindus have only one temple in Bur Dubai.


As in other Arab countries, the national language of the UAE is Arabic. The Emirati people speak the Gulf Dialect of the native Arabs. The Gulf Dialect is also spoken in other Arab countries such as the Persian Gulf in Kuwait, eastern Saudi Arabia, southern Iraq, and other regions and countries. Due to the recent occupation of the country by the United Kingdom (until 1971), English has become the basis of the UAE's lingua franca.


The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has a desert climate, characterized by the cooler, warmer winters, and warmer Persian Gulf temperatures. Annual rainfall distributions are almost everywhere in the range of less than 100 mm (4 inches) and are associated with the winter months. Rainfall does not occur, but it occurs in the form of showers or rain, which can sometimes be very severe. The country is made up of seven armies, almost all of them overlooking the Persian Gulf (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain) and one overlooking the Gulf of Oman (Fujairah). The largest port, including the capital, is Abu Dhabi, or is famous for Dubai because of its modern buildings and modern tourist destinations.

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in UAE.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list