By Alan Collins
This ebook incorporates a number of state of the art chapters that discover quite a few connections among city dwelling, sexuality and sexual hope world wide. the most important issues featured handle a couple of topical matters including:
- the controversies and debates raging round the evolution, defining styles and acceptable rules of industrial intercourse zones and markets within the city landscape
- how homosexual public areas, districts and 'gay villages' emerged and built in a number of cities and towns round the world
- how altering attitudes to, and the use of city sexual areas, as depicted in iconic tv sequence resembling Sex and the City and Queer as Folk, mirror the truth of operating women's or homosexual men's altering lifestyles experiences.
With unique case stories, and a powerful interdisciplinary allure, this e-book can be a helpful reference for postgraduates and complicated scholars within the fields of cultural reports in addition to human, city and social geography.
This ebook was once formerly released as a different factor of the magazine Urban Studies.
Read Online or Download Cities of Pleasure: Sex and the Urban Socialscape (Urban Studies Monographs) PDF
Best psychology of sexuality books
Concerning the book:Gale Chester Whittington's effective memoir chronicles the author's teenage suicide try out after which strikes directly to the genuine starting of the homosexual Liberation stream, pre-Stonewall, in 1969 San Francisco, the place Mr. Whittington was once fired for being overtly homosexual. it is inventive non-fiction, written like a unique, with a conservative alter-ego's innovations and a bounty of humor inserted to maintain it energetic.
Throughout the overdue 19th century the town of Berlin built this sort of recognition for lawlessness and sexual licentiousness that it got here to be referred to as the "Whore of Babylon. " Out of this acceptance for debauchery grew an strangely wealthy discourse round prostitution. In Berlin Coquette, Jill Suzanne Smith indicates how this discourse transcended the standard clichés approximately prostitutes and really explored complicated visions of other moralities or sexual countercultures together with the “New Morality” articulated via feminist radicals, lesbian love, and the “New lady.
There are numerous books on intercourse and an unending fascination with the topic. kinds and vagaries of sexual hope have lengthy been documented, yet there was little engagement with state of the art medical study to discover the organic and mental bases of sexual wish. right here, Frederick Toates makes use of the insights of contemporary technological know-how to teach how a variety of desire-related phenomena - fable, novelty-seeking, sexual habit, sex-drug interactions, fetishes, voyeurism, and sexual violence and killing - begin to make feel.
Bringing jointly thought and public healthiness perform, this interdisciplinary assortment analyses 3 types of nonconventional or radical sexualities: bareback intercourse, BDSM practices, and public intercourse. Drawing jointly the most recent empirical examine from Brazil, Canada, Spain, and the us, it mobilizes queer concept and poststructuralism, enticing the paintings of theorists similar to Bataille, Butler, Deleuze and Guattari, and Foucault, between others.
- Exhibitionism: A Popular History of Performance And Display
- Women and Sex Work in Cambodia: Blood, sweat and tears (ASAA Women in Asia Series)
- Trans*Am: Cis Men and Trans Women in Love
- Sex, Drugs and Young People: International Perspectives (Sexuality, Culture and Health)
Additional info for Cities of Pleasure: Sex and the Urban Socialscape (Urban Studies Monographs)
Cities of Pleasure: Sex and the Urban Socialscape (Urban Studies Monographs) by Alan Collins